Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Our first, and only Christmas Party of 2011


Brent and I are attending a young married ward here in Boise. We were asked to work together with another couple in the ward to plan the food for our Christmas party. We were not given a whole lot of instructions, except a small budget and told to go for it. There are about 30-40 couples in our ward, so we started planning on food for 80, just to be safe.

Normally a nice Christmas dinner is turkey or ham with potatoes and the works. Both Brent and I work full time, so preparing an extravagent meal for our party at 6:00pm on a Friday evening was not a realistic option for us. I had a genious idea though...have a winter themed dinner and do soup and bread bowls. It was simple, but still delicious. Brent and I were in charge of making chicken noodle soup and chili. We started cooking the broths on Wednesday and had a blast making all of the special adjustments until the soups were just right. We were nervous that we would not have enough soup so we had 4 big pans full of soup. The only problem was that we did not have enough pans, or fridge space. Thankfully we live on the second floor and have our own balcony so we stored some of our soup in mason jars just outside our door. It was quite an adventure.
When it finally came time for the party on Friday night, there was no one there to let us into the building. So much for leaving work early to get things prepared. So you know how when you make food for a party, you never want to run out? Well apparently our 80 people was a TOTAL overestimate. We probably had about 30 people instead. So everyone got to take home soup and lots and lots of bread bowls. Oh well, at least there was enough for everyone.

This was also the first "Ugly Sweater" party that I have been too. We were busy in the kitchen most of the time, but I still wanted to be apart of everyone else, so earlier that week I went to goodwill and got Brent and I some "ugly sweaters". Unfortunately for Brent, I got him a wool sweater. I was trying to be nice and I washed it before our dinner, but that was a BAD idea. We were getting wool lint out of our clothes for about a week....and I didn't even dry it. With the help of my personal touches (aka. washing it) Brent was able to take 2nd place in the Ugly Sweater Contest. I was so proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment